Frequently Asked Questions
At The Theatre
I’ve never been to the theatre before, what should I expect?
We’re really excited to be your first theatre experience. Here’s a few things to expect:
- On the day of the performance, you can expect to see signs for Carousel Players at the location where the play is happening. Some may have arrows to help you find the room where the play is happening.
- At the entrance to the theatre, you will be greeted by a Carousel Players staff person and also some volunteers. They will be wearing blue shirts so you can identify them.
- These people will make sure you have a ticket, either by checking your name against our list if you ordered online or by selling you tickets right there. You can pay by cash, cheque, e-transfer, or tap.
- Once your tickets are checked, you will be able to enter the theatre. There will be a staff or volunteer there to help you find a seat. You will see the play’s world (the set) in place, and different places to sit including chairs and foam mats. You can pick any seat you like!
- As you wait for the play to start, you might want to look at the program which tells you who is in the show and who helped make it. This is available online and on paper. A volunteer to help you to get a program in the format you want.
- When the play starts, a person from Carousel Players will walk onto the play’s world and welcome you and the rest of the audience. Then the actors will come on stage and play will happen. There will be singing and music, dancing and a story being told. You can interact with the performers when they ask – they may ask you to sing, make sounds, or act with them. We also love to hear audiences laugh, so feel free to do that lots!
- There might be some loud noises during the show and at the end of the play, people in the audience will clap and maybe cheer to say thank you to the performers.
- If you are attending a play at a Performing Arts Centre, there will be one additional element: lights. At the start of the play, the lights where you are sitting will get less bright and the lights on stage will get more bright. At the end of the play, the stage will get dim and the seating area will get bright. It will never be fully dark in the room.
- If you need to leave the room during the play to use the bathroom or for another reason, you can. Please be careful of other people’s toes as you go! You can come back in when you are ready and go back to your seat.
- If you have any questions at any time, please ask one of the Carousel Players staff and volunteers in the blue shirts. They are there to help you and make sure you enjoy your theatre experience.
Can we take pictures or recordings of the performance?
No, taking pictures and/or videos is not permitted during performances.
Do you admit latecomers?
Yes, we will wait for an appropriate break in the performance to admit you to the theatre.
Am I able to leave performances if required?
Yes, If you need to leave the room during the play to use the bathroom or for another reason, you can. Please be careful of other people’s toes as you go! You can come back in when you are ready to go back to your seat.
Are performances accessible for wheelchairs or strollers?
Yes, we only book our performances into accessible venues.
Information on access to venues will be listed on the registration page so you know what to expect.
Is food and/or drink permitted in the theatre?
Yes, both food and drink are permitted but we ask that you not bring food with common allegens (like peanuts) and clean up any trash before you leave.
Are there washroom facilities?
Yes, all the venues have washroom facilities.
Is there parking available?
Please check the venue information on the event or show registration page for specific parking details.
Tickets and PAsses
What are your ticket prices?
Ticket prices vary depending on performance, please check the specific performance page for more information. Most show tickets are $10+tax.
How do I purchase a show ticket?
Find our current offering of shows under the menu Plays & Events and follow the links to purchase tickets.
How will I receive tickets I've purchased online?
For single shows tickets, individuals who have purchased tickets will have their digital ticket (emailed to you) checked against a list at the door of performance.
What are your refund policies?
Tickets will be fully refunded for any event canceled by Carousel Players.
Tickets will be fully refunded if a guest cancels their order due to illness at any time before the start of the event.
Tickets will be fully refunded if a guest cancels their order up to 24 hours before the event. If a guest cancels within 24 hours of the event, payment will be converted to a donation and a tax receipt will be issued.
At what age can a young person attend a performance without supervision?
Children 12 and under require adult supervision.
Children 13+ are free to attend performances on their own, though we encourage families to experience shows together.
Carousel Players assumes no responsibility for children not accompanied by adults unless they are checked in with front of the house staff by an adult caregiver and picked up by the same adult at the end of the performance. If you choose to do this, we require that you provide two contact phone numbers (yours and an emergency contact) and show ID at both drop off and pick up to ensure the safety of the child.
Is there a minimum age for children to attend the performance?
Yes, each production has a different audience age suggestion. Check the specific performance page for more information.
At what age do you start charging for tickets (babes-in-arms policy)?
Children aged one year and up must have a ticket to attend a performance to ensure we are abiding by fire safety requirements.
If you need to leave the room during the play to tend to your little one, you can. Please be careful of other people’s toes as you go! You can come back in when you are ready and go back to your seat.
How can I get involved in Carousel Players ?
We are always looking for community members who want to get involved with the Carousel Players. If you are interested in getting involved with Carousel Players as a volunteer, youth committee member, or intern please visit www.carouselplayers.com/artist
Will performers wear masks?
Please be aware that our performers work unmasked and will be singing. Our staff and artists are required by our Covid-19 policies to be fully vaccinated and to complete daily screenings. There will be space left between the performance area and seating area.
Do myself and my family need to wear masks?
Full masking of all audience members over the age of 4 will be required at all indoor events. Masks for children 4 and under are not mandatory but are encouraged. Masks will be available at the venue for anyone who needs one.
We have chosen to continue to do this because our audiences include children too young to receive the protection of vaccination. We thank you for helping us to provide these young ones with the safest possible environment.
Do attendees need to be vaccinated?
Attendees do not require the vaccination, however we ask that you please keep your mask on during the performance.